BADUNG, DEWATA.NEWS – The Badung Regency Government will introduce a new traffic management scheme in parts of South Kuta starting June 1, 2026, as authorities attempt to reduce chronic congestion on roads leading to Uluwatu and surrounding tourist destinations.
The traffic engineering plan will focus on several congestion-prone areas in Ungasan and Pecatu villages, two rapidly developing tourism zones frequently affected by heavy vehicle buildup, especially during peak travel hours.
According to Badung Transportation Agency (Dishub) Head Anak Agung Gede Rahmadi, the scheme will cover six major traffic points, including the Nirmala Ungasan intersection, Jalan Blimbing, Blimbing Sari, and sections of Jalan Toya Ning 1 and Toya Ning 2.
“There are six locations. In principle, we want to reduce vehicle crossing points that have been causing traffic congestion,” Rahmadi said on Wednesday, May 13, 2026.
The short-term traffic strategy is designed to minimize intersecting vehicle flows that often trigger long queues at junctions. Under the proposed arrangement, traffic will be directed through circular movement patterns intended to keep vehicles moving continuously through intersections.
Authorities said the measure is part of a broader effort to maintain smooth access for tourists traveling to popular attractions in the Uluwatu area, one of Bali’s busiest tourism corridors.
In addition to the Uluwatu-area adjustments, the Transportation Agency is also managing temporary traffic diversions linked to an ongoing four-way intersection construction project near Udayana University on Jalan Raya Kampus Unud. The project has also involved the dismantling of several public street lights and CCTV units around the construction zone.
Rahmadi said Badung Regent I Wayan Adi Arnawa has instructed officials to prioritize accessibility and mobility for visitors traveling to tourism destinations across the regency.
If the new system proves effective, similar traffic engineering measures could later be implemented in other heavily congested tourism areas such as Berawa and Canggu in North Kuta District.
Badung Transportation Agency officials previously announced plans to reassess traffic patterns in those areas due to increasing vehicle volumes and growing public complaints over severe congestion, particularly near beach access roads and shortcut routes commonly used by motorists.
“We will discuss the Berawa and Canggu areas again, including Berawa Beach, Jalan Kayu Tulang, and surrounding roads. Those areas will be re-evaluated,” said Transportation Agency Secretary I Made Gede Wiryantara Adi Susandi.
Traffic congestion has become a growing issue across several tourism hubs in southern Bali as visitor numbers and private vehicle use continue to rise.
